Monday, November 7, 2011

Loooooooong Prayers


When our family got back to the car after church, my brother said, “Brother C’s prayer lasted 8 minutes. I timed it on my watch.”

8 minutes! Now, we had men at the College Church who could go for maybe 5 minutes, but no one was in Brother C’s league. 8 minutes! That’s a lifetime to kid.

From the time he said, “Our holy Father who art in heaven…



if I wanted to,
I could walk across the street,
buy and eat a box of Cracker Jacks,
and make it back into the auditorium,
before Brother C said,




… We pray all of these things in Christ our loving savior’s name, amen.”

His prayers were full of Thees and Thous, and sometimes I had a hard time understanding them. But they did sound pretty good. I’ll give that to Brother C; they had sort of a psalm-like quality about them.

They were beautiful prayers.

And they were loooooooong.

3 comments:

  1. Was it Brother Dykes who used to pray such beautiful prayers? I don't remember who Brother C might be, but I think there was a Mr. Dykes who prayed as as if he were steeped in the psalms. I don't remember them being long, but beautiful and reverent.

    I think he is part of why I fell in love with the Book of Common Prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Dykes could pray. I wonder if he wrote them out ahead of time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. I wish more people would, though!

    ReplyDelete