Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Baptism Blurbs


At a church staff meeting in Boston, a minister begins his speech by saying:
"Baptism.
All I want to talk about today is baptism.  That’s the most important thing.
Baptism.  Baptism.  Baptism."

***

One day around lunchtime, an older Christian and I chat in the food court of an Alabama mall.  I mention something about baptism.  He replies, “Maybe we should place less emphasis on baptism and more emphasis on loving God with all our hearts.”
 
***

Baptism of my wife Cheryl’s friend.   




 ***

Mary writes:
Sometimes preachers would encourage people to be baptized, saying, “The clothes are prepared, the water is warm, come while we stand together and sing.”



6 comments:

  1. This definitely sounds like Kip McKean's Boston Movement discipling theology to me. (Run away!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how about the preachers who would have the song leader go through like two dozen verses of Just As I Am (or some other really fear-inducing "invitation song"), interrupting every other verse or so to plead with everyone to reconsider why they are still standing and dry at that point? Precious memories - how they linger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting warm, X-Ray. :)

    I confess, Roger ... as a kid, there were times when I hoped people would stop responding, because the invitation song was lasting for-e-ver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Butner,

    Was he doing that out of a sense of love? Since we can't know his heart, I think we should assume the best. While that isn't my model of evangelizing and I don't think fear should be the primary motivator in the Christian life as it is lived after the birth, it IS appropriate in the early life of a babe, so long as you direct them to the life of TOTAL confidence afterward and don't LEAVE them there. There can be no doubt in the very first sermon on Pentecost that fear was a HUGE motivator in the mass conversion that followed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me say that there is NO JOY in a legalistic mind-set, and the approach you mentioned, sadly, was often associated with a "toe the line" or else mentality. And THAT must be totally rejected.

    ReplyDelete