Monday, December 31, 2012

Remembering Mrs. Alston …

My mom and Mrs. Alston in 2009.

Mrs. Betty Alston was my second grade teacher and our next door neighbor in Searcy. This sweet lady went on to be with the Lord a few weeks ago, and our family will certainly miss having her close by.

I have a couple of very strong memories from Mrs. Alston’s classroom. These were special lessons she shared with a room full of 7 and 8 year-olds … things that “stuck” and changed our lives for the better:

1) Mrs. Alston taught us to always be curious … to always keep our eyes open. Why, you never know what you might find along the way. And, if you look very hard, you might even spot an arrowhead lying on the ground.

I am still looking for arrowheads.

2) Mrs. Alston taught us that, when wishing a sick person to feel better, we should always add the word “soon” to the end of our greeting. For example, instead of saying, “I hope you get well,” you should say, “I hope you get well soon!”

I have been adding “soon” to all of my cards and letters ever since.

Thank you for all you taught us, Mrs. Alston. We look forward to seeing you again …

… soon!

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Alston was my second grade teacher, as well. I have several vivid memories from 2nd grade. "When two vowels go walking, the first one does all the talking . . ."

    And when I was in the 5th grade and my Mom was diagnosed with cancer, she pulled me out of class to talk to me about how she had had cancer, too.

    I loved running into her around town. She was always excited to see each of us. She recently told me that she had college students living in her home because "it keeps me young." Thanks for posting about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When 2 vowels go walking ... I had forgotten that one! :)

      Thanks for sharing these memories, Jennifer.

      Delete