Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Stefanie speaks up for same-sex marriage




Stefanie Glenn was a student at Harding from 1996-2000, majoring in theatre.  She lives in Fort Worth and works as a special education teacher.

***

As a Christian, the issue of same-sex marriage is a very confusing subject for me. On the one hand, I have been taught my whole 35 years of life that homosexuality is sin. While I do believe that, I don’t believe that we have the right to legally deny anyone from making a choice that they see best for their life. I majored in theatre at Harding. While I was there, no one openly admitted they were gay, but we all knew there were a couple of people who would eventually come out. However, when I went to grad school and started doing theatre professionally, I quickly realized I was in the minority, and I best keep my opinions about living as a homosexual to myself.

Many of my theatre colleagues are supporters of same-sex marriage; a few are even engaged or married. What has shaped and changed my thoughts on the issue is that I now have faces, names, and friendships attached. It is very easy to dismiss people, if you don’t have to see them every day. I see how happy people are when they don’t have to feel ashamed of who they are. I see how someone’s life is made better when they are in a relationship with someone who makes them a better person.

Another conclusion I have come to is that same-sex marriage has to be looked at as a legal or a civil issue. If we are truly to be a nation that honors the separation of church and state, then we have no business having laws that are based in religious doctrine. If two men want to live their lives together and want to be married, who am I to judge them? I don’t have to agree with the choices they are making, but I also don’t have the right to tell them how to lead their lives.

At the end of the day this is a very complex and sensitive issue, one that I don’t know if we will ever have clear answers on.

No comments:

Post a Comment