Sunday, October 27, 2013

Did ya hear the news?



Did ya hear the news?

(You know it has to be big for me to postpone my “Halloween Memories” blog post.)

The news … Pepperdine University has named a new chaplain, and her name is Sara Barton!


Pepperdine, a Church-of-Christ-affiliated school, has given a post of spiritual leadership to a woman.  How awesome is that?

After hearing about this, I went online to learn more about the chaplain’s office at Pepperdine.  I clicked on the staff link, and every single person on the page was a woman.  3 for 3.  100%.  I felt like Rip Van Winkle, coming awake after a 20-year nap.  Where have I been?  How did this happen?  A place of spiritual leadership that is completely staffed by women?  How awesome is that?

This feels like a step in the right direction … a more progressive and spiritually healthy path … becoming more and more a church where both men and women have a voice.

Now I’ve never been to Pepperdine*, but I do hope to get out there one day.  I don’t know exactly what things look like in Malibu, CA, but I do have an image forming in my mind.  I picture a young guy, a student, sitting in a packed auditorium.  There’s a faint sound of ocean waves crashing in the distance.  This young man closes his eyes for a moment and hears the voice of a woman speaking the words of Christ into his life.  It’s a moment that changes him forever.

How awesome is that?

***

Sara’s previous guest-post on my blog can be found here:  http://growingupcofc.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-woman-called.html

***

* Tony Kornheiser, an ESPN and DC-area sports-talk guy, calls Pepperdine the most beautiful college campus in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment