Sunday, May 18, 2014

Did ya hear the one about the elephant?



http://www.fairfaxvideos.com/sermons/elephant/part1

I met my old friend for dinner the other night.  We ordered a couple of Philly cheesesteak sandwiches.  (Ironically, he requested his without any cheese.)

During a lull in the conversation, my friend noticed the blue wristband I was wearing and asked, “What’s that for?”

So I started telling him about a previous series at our church called “How to Eat an Elephant” and about how my wristband said, “One bite at a time.”

Admittedly, it’s a corny punchline.

But, the principle is true.

How do we tackle a big problem?  One small step at a time.

How to we go about being more “holy” in an area of our lives?  One small bite at a time.

As the minister at our church described it … we’re like the Allied invasion on D-Day.  We’re attacking one beachhead and then another and then another, until we’ve overcome the enemy.  (Did I mention that we’re not alone in this?  That God and other people are fighting for us as well?)

My friend nodded at all this, and I thought we might end up having a deeper discussion about being middle-aged and the accumulated problems of our lives.

But we didn’t (which was fine by me).

Instead, we decided to swap a few elephant jokes, from when we were kids.

Q:  How do you put an elephant in the refrigerator?
A:  You open the door, and put him inside.

Q:  How do you put a giraffe in the refrigerator?
A:  You open the door, take out the elephant, and put the giraffe inside.

Q:  How do you kill a blue elephant?
A:  With a blue elephant gun.

Q:  How do you kill a pink elephant?
A:  You squeeze him until he turns blue, and then you shoot him with a blue elephant gun.

Just a couple of old friends, laughing … and finishing off our cheesesteak sandwiches, one bite at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment