Monday, January 5, 2015

More grace



For some reason, in my 30s, I was really into New Year’s resolutions.

I remember one Christmas vacation; our family was visiting Cheryl’s parents in Huntsville, Alabama.  I decided to go for a walk on a trail near their home.  I prayed some, and I sat down to write out my resolutions.  I don’t recall the exact number, but I think it was in the neighborhood of 28.

The next year was going to be the best year of my life!  I was going to fix everything!

I think I ran out of gas by January 5th.

Another year, I firmly resolved to get rid of 6 “unhealthy” foods from my diet.  I was going accomplish this by eliminating one bad-food every couple of months.

I must say it was a sad day when I said goodbye to bacon.  And then later on, French fries … I don’t even want to talk about that.

That was my 30s.  These days, I take a more mellow approach.  Less type-A.  More type-B … or even type-C.

For the past few years, I’ve tried to limit myself to a single resolution.  I don’t write it down, and I just go with it as long as it stays on my mind.

Which brings me to this New Year …

The only thing that’s popped into my mind so far, for some reason, is the word “grace.”  It is one of my favorite words, but how do I fashion grace into a resolution?

I’m not sure, but it might have something to do with this …

In his new book, Vanishing Grace, Philip Yancey writes about followers of Christ being “dispensers” of grace.  Maybe that’s the direction this is heading.  Maybe, in 2015, I can dispense a little grace into a world that seems to be filling up with anxiety and fear.  Maybe I can sprinkle my conversations with more grace.

Maybe I can post some extra grace right here.

Now that I think about it, maybe I'll allow myself 2 resolutions this year:
  1. More grace.
  2. Less bacon.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about the bacon part, but I know you're a wonderful dispenser of grace already, Mike. Yancey's thoughts continues to stick with me too. May we all give more grace than ever in 2015 (even to ourselves when we pig out on bacon). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa ... and backatcha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, bacon is not all that bad, in moderation. It is sausage that has a lot of unnecessary fat, and that is has been my weak point at times. Think McDonald's Sausage Egg McMuffin. Grace is what we need in these times. Grace to everyone,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, I spent a long weekend with my cousin a couple of years ago. One on my favorite memories was of our McDonald's breakfast every morning!

    Grace to everyone ... Amen, brother.

    ReplyDelete